Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Wednesday, August 18

Big Red

Last Friday night I went to the local premiere of Hellboy. The previews for it looked promising, and I went into it expecting to have a bit of fun but not much else. I walked out of the cinema having had a heap of fun.

I'm not going to go on and on like I tend to do about films with this one. I had a very enjoyable time watching it. If you were to ask the people I went with I oood and ahhhd the whole way through. It was the most vocal I think I have been in a film for a long time (not counting laughing).

It's a fun ride. Hellboy is a great character acted perfectly by Ron Perlman. The prosthetics and make-up were amazingly detailed. There is no way this film would have succeeded with a CGI lead. The constant dry humour of Hellboy certainly kept us laughing throughout the whole film. He really gets the crap beaten out of him for every step he takes, and yet, it's acceptable because he's a big ol' demon guy.

I think this is what Van Helsing should have been.

The writer didn't bother over explaining the mythology or try and make you believe it could be real. The concepts were presented enough for the story to progress, and then they moved on. I certainly want to see it again.

Filmed in the Czech republic, stick around for the credits. One, because there is an extra bit further on, and two, because you play the name game really well. There are some fantastic crew names to be pointed and laughed at.

4 viewers interjected with:

Blogger Violet said...

Hellboy was fun. Van Helsing was just stupid.

18/8/04 1:45 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the poster? How much could they misrepresent Lizzy? She's no flame-throwing vamp!

18/8/04 5:16 pm

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

I'm excited to see this, (though it will have to wait till after the Olympics) the preview has been permanently etched in my brain after so many viewings! I'm sure the cinemas have been advertising it for a good six months or so, and the preview has been attached to, I would say, 90% of the movies I've been to during those six months. Sounds like overkill, but strangely it has worked! Must. See. Hellboy.

18/8/04 7:29 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

The poster is a bit strange, because Liz certainly doesn't look anything like that in the film. It'd be a cool image for a different film.

Marketing has done it job in brain washing us all into seeing this good film :-)

At least it was worth the ticket price.

18/8/04 8:14 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005