Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Thursday, April 21

I'm Back and The World Still Turns

Some interesting news:
Adam Scott (The Aviator) will star opposite Sarah Michelle Gellar in Focus Features' untitled supernatural thriller. It's about a Midwesterner being stalked by her ex-b.f. and haunted by nightmares of a past murder. Asif Kapadia directs the thriller, now lensing in Austin, Texas.

And some scary news:
Jay Scherick and David Ronn (Guess Who) are in talks to write the bigscreen version of Baywatch for DreamWorks. Pic is on the fast track with the hope of a 2006 summer release.

Weta Workshops (the masters behind The Lord of the Rings) have a new website. Explore the site to discover profiles of the artists, some of the work done by Weta in other films, and details on upcoming projects like King Kong and the Narnia series.

More casting rumours about The Da Vinci Code: Ian McKellen is cast as Sir Teabing, "a wealthy man who acts as a resource for Langdon even as he shows his own ambitions to uncover the Holy Grail." Alfred Molina will play Bishop Arigarosa, "who's keenly interested in the sleuthing activities of Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) and cryptographer Sophie Neveu (Audrey Tautou)."
The only people listed on imdb.com as cast are Hanks, Tautou, and Jean Reno as Captain Bezu Fache (which is excellent casting for this character), other credits include James Horner as composer.

On May 13, if you happen to be watching a film in the USA you may be one of the first people to see the new trailer for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, America’s ABC will be airing a GoF special on May 7th that will feature all the footage from the trailer, but re-edited.

In Potter casting news, Robbie Coltrane may not continue as Hagrid. The new Potter family members for GoF are Ralph Fiennes who will play Lord Voldemort, Miranda Richardson as Rita Skeeterk, the reporter, and Brendan Gleeson will be Mad-Eye Moody, the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor.

Potter producer David Heyman reveals one of the story arcs that will not be in the fourth film is Hermione’s S.P.E.W. campaign.

I can’t believe how isolated I’ve become from all things genre the last couple of months. Fox has been airing the 6 completed episodes of Tru Calling in the USA, but has pulled the pin so that the ep that should have aired today won’t. What does that mean? That they effectively cancelled it twice! Hopefully it will appear on DVD here, as I’ve no doubt that Seven will hold off airing it until a ridiculous slot opens at 2am on Sunday.

The Chronicles of Narnia have a new website at Disney.com. It’s rather impressive, but those who have a slow net connection like me will have to be patient. The wallpapers alone are worth the wait. Now I’ve got till December to read the first couple of books.

Another site that has been revamped is War of the Worlds’. Not a lot of actual info, but the wallpapers, posters and photo gallery are cool.

5 viewers interjected with:

Blogger Onanymous said...

I agree that Jean Reno would be wonderful as Bezu Fache. It is very similar to the character he played in 'The Crimson Rivers', one of the better crime thrillers I have seen in a long time.

And Narnia looks amazing. I'm so glad they are doing it properly, since the cronicle are the reason I started reading fantasy.

22/4/05 3:49 pm

 
Blogger Ben said...

you haven't read the narnia books Casyn? or are you rushing to read 'em again before any movies come out ... :(

24/4/05 12:15 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I've not read the series. I am a rather new reader. I've always read books, but it wasn't until I was at uni that I really got the bug. So, I've got a lot of catching up to do. I saw a omnibus edition of the series that has the first three books in it. I thought that a good place to start.

There are some films that I would like to read the books before seeing them, and others that I'm content to let the film introduce me to the world. There's no pattern I follow, just whatever piques my interest.

24/4/05 2:06 am

 
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Good to have you back in blogland - we've missed you! Sounds as if you have been really stretched but hope you do find time to read those Narnia books. I was quite an obsessive in my day (many, MANY years ago) to the point where I read lots of Christian texts going through all the religious allusions (and trying to explain away all the mythology stuff!)
Cheers to your return
Lisa of the Rullsenberg

25/4/05 9:54 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

Thankyou for your warm welcome Lisa. I will look to read the books a little later in the year. I've got the time before the film comes out.

I knew that the Naria stories were riddled with Christian plots, and I'm wandering if that will affect my perception of the stories. With the Philip Pullman series, His Dark Materials, I knew nothing about them, and found the loosely veiled subtext rather strange and off-putting.

Will be an interesting exercise. I'm currently reading The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Just getting into it, I'm not as hooked as I think people were expecting me to be.

25/4/05 11:47 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005