Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Friday, September 10

Dish-watching

I have had an urge to watch some of my video collection. When I normally have an itch to view I head for the DVD shelf, but I got to the point where I was just staring at it and not actually looking, so for a change of scenery I walk to the other side of the room and stare blankly at my videos.

I was after something feel-good last night and grabbed 'The Dish'. A good Australian film that's funny, warm, historical (as much as a film can be) and has a great soundtrack. I wasn't around for the original Moon Walk and like to be shown what it was like. Yes, a thick pair of rose coloured glasses are put on, but I like the sentiment.

The Australian (and pseudo-Australian) cast are all exceptional in their roles. I never once cringed at any really bad ocker-stereotypes nor put down jokes. The humour is dryly Aussie and you'd be hard pressed not to laugh out loud numerous times, especially when the American national anthem is mixed up. Sam Neil excels as the dignified Cliff Buxton, Kevin Harrington claims most of the films one liners, Tom Long has the shy intellect down pat, and Patrick Warburton as the NASA liaison takes the typical American-in-an-Aussie-film to a new level (You'd recognise him if you've seen the TV show 'The Tick').

Add to the core cast an ensemble of memorable bit parts I'd be challenged to think of a better Australian movie of wholesome characters. I was looking at a list of quotes trying to find the funniest line. I couldn't choose.

This a film I'm actually proud of that is an Australian product.

2 viewers interjected with:

Blogger SingleFin said...

And here was me thinking I was the only one who liked the film. Fantastic! Ever since I saw it, I wanted to get picked up from the ground in a huge dish and hoisted aloft.
*summons dish*

13/9/04 8:55 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

Ooooo. Dish riding! Get picked up from the ground, then play some cricket while it's pointing straight up.

I want one!

Glad I am not the only one who enjoyed this film :-)

14/9/04 12:32 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005