Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Saturday, September 4

Bourne. Again.

The Bourne Identity was a good mystery/amnesia/action flick that I was surprised I enjoyed as much as I did. Layered characters not typical of any type of agency film and a conspiracy that actually intrigued. So when I heard there was a sequel, I wasn’t surprised. I was dubious about it due to the sequel-syndrome of following clever with crap. The trailer caught my interest enough to lure me into the cinema (much like handing a lolly to any sugar addict).

The Bourne Supremacy, was overall, a good flick. Once again the conspiracy is engaging enough to want to follow it through to completion. Matt Damon is a secret action movie hero, better than Ben Affleck could ever hope for. He is great in this role. I am very glad that the agents and staff of the agencies aren’t goofy tossers. It is such a common stereotype now that it is refreshing to see them taking it seriously.

I have only one problem with Bourne 2. The camera. I don’t think the production company could afford to buy a camera dolly, because it was on the cameraperson’s shoulder for the entire movie. I know for a fact that camera people can film nearly totally motionless on shoulders. I enjoy that style when used to enhance the immediacy or tension. To make things seem live and more real. What I don’t like is when an entire film is wobbly! There were so few motionless shots they could be counted on your digits. Even though I was really enjoying the story and action, the constant motion was similar to being on a train. I always fall asleep on trains! I became rather drowsy. The total opposite of what an audience member should be feeling in a mystery/amnesia/action film. It is bearable, but does distract dramatically at times. If you get motion sickness, perhaps wait till it’s released on DVD.

Apart from the above wrong decision, The Bourne Supremacy is a worthy sequel of Identity.

9 viewers interjected with:

Blogger MuzeKez said...

Say a person (ie. me) hasn't seen The Bourne Identity, but thinks they might be interested in checking out The Bourne Supremacy: would you say the sequel stands up on its own, or is it really necessary to see Identity first?

4/9/04 11:32 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

Supremacy should stand on its own. The backward references are clearly explained. I haven't seen Identity since its cinema release, so I was hazy on details and was refreshed enough. There's no flashbacks but info and documentation is presented well (if a bit shaky onscreen...).

I would advise, of course, to see Identity, even if it's after Supremacy just to make it all make sense.

I want to go and get Identity on DVD now...

5/9/04 2:17 am

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

Thanks for the confirmation! Might as well now confess that my sole interest in seeing Supremacy is because Karl Urban is in it.. and he's not in Identity, hence the lack of interest in seeing that one. You just never know whether seeing a sequel without seeing the first movie will be more confusing than pleasurable though.

5/9/04 10:41 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

Bugger it! I was so tired when I wrote that post that I totally forgot to mention him. He was very good. I barely recognised him, then I discretely said �Oh! Eomer!�and pointed when I recognised. He doesn�t speak a single word of English in the film.

The only info you really need to know to make Supremacy get going is that Jason Bourne didn�t know who he was (amnesia of course), and spent Identity trying to find out, while being chased by the agency who trained him as an assassin. The operation that was responsible for his training and handling was called Treadstone. Along the way ends up travelling with a chicky who gets tangled up in it all. That�s the basic basics :-)

5/9/04 10:20 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

Boy did that comment turn out bad.

That'll teach me for not previewing it first.

5/9/04 10:22 pm

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

Attack of the question-mark apostrophes! :-)

Okay, I've definitely added Supremacy to my cinema "to see" list. Might even find the time to check it out this week - I'm way past due for a movie outing. Starting to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

6/9/04 10:04 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

You get question marks? I get squares!

6/9/04 3:38 pm

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

It's a browser thing - question marks in Mozilla Firefox, little squares in Internet Explorer.. will have to check what other browsers produce!

6/9/04 6:52 pm

 
Blogger Ben said...

hooray for character encoding! hmmm another one for blogtionary methinks.

7/9/04 10:34 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005