Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Monday, September 19

Big Damn Post

I'd not been to the Serenity Oz forums for a couple of days, so missed out on a few interesting things, but after browsing and lurking will give you all the juicy stuff.

Three D World give Serenity five bigguns in an excellent review.

The Benchwarmers, two outrageous guys on selected radio networks around Australia at 4pm weekdays, are running a Serenity competition. Win a trip to Universal Studios in LA and five nights accom. Shiny!

Men's mag FHM are also running a Serenity Comp. Choose a name for the spaceship you would have and win a Serenity pack.

Titan Magazines, the folks who brings us the Buffy and Angel mags, are releasing a Serenity Movie Magazine. It'll be a one off and will hopefully appear here before the film opens, rather than three months down the track like every other UK mag.

Joss talked to TV Week while he was here and this question was posed:
Australia’s education minister, Brendan Nelson, recently had a go at universities because there are more students studying Buffy than Milton. How do you feel about people studying Buffy at university?

I think they should be. There’s two reasons. One, because there’s not an episode of that show which we didn’t have a very specific intent for. There’s no episode that was just there to spin a yarn. They all were trying to capture something, even if it was just like a certain experience. There was always philosophical and political discussion about what it was we were trying to say. But even if none of that was the case, even if it was just a show that people took to, the fact that it’s made such an inroad into popular culture means that it should be studied for whatever it is popular culture seems to have needed that made it grasp onto it. Do I think it’s as good as Milton’s poems? Well, I’m not, like, a big Milton-head. I don’t think it’s as good as Emily Dickinson’s poems. Do I think it’s the greatest literature ever? I don’t think it is. Do I think it’s topical and thoughtful and deals with issues of human morality and personal responsibility and a lot of things that need to be talked about both academically and casually, yes. So I’m all for it.
Joss is also in an article and poster in this month's FilmInk magazine.

Greater Union - Birch, Carroll & Coyle are running a competition for Serenity prize-packs. Due to their terms and conditions I can't link to their site. Which is stupid! I'm advertising them. Get over yourself GU! Anyhoo... go enter the comp at Greater Union dot com dot au.

The Firefly DVDs are currently in 9th place in the Amazon DVD sales rank. Pretty bloody shiny!

Here in Oz, you'd be hard pressed to find a copy of Firefly anywhere. Search DVD Plaza for Firefly and you can only backorder.

Joss will be on the Triple J morning show tomorrow morning, so I'd better get to bed so I'll be awake for it!

3 viewers interjected with:

Blogger MuzeKez said...

I cannot even conceive of any possible reason why a certain cinema chain (who shall remain nameless in case by simply mentioning their name I am breaking their "terms and conditions") would have such an outlandishly foolish "condition" to competition entrants!

I'm tempted to send this one in to Rove's "What the?" segment. I don't think it's quite what the segment is about, but it certainly had me saying "what the?!?"

*blinks and rubs eyes* Hmm, nope, it's still there. Crazy!

That threedworld review is a great read, huh? ;)

20/9/05 11:54 am

 
Blogger Violet said...

Thanks for the links - I'm looking forward to seeing Serenity on DVD.

23/9/05 11:32 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I totally agree Muzekez. It's a very very stupid thing to do. I see people adding links to their sites as a good thing. Obviously I'm mistaken.

I've been trying to read all the reviews and watch all the TV reviews I can, and pretty much all have been very positive. Even the The Movie Show, who's hosts I find rather irritating, were excited about it.

It will be interesting to see what David and Margaret say about it on At The Movies this week on Wednesday night.

Am glad I could help Violet. :-)

Oooo! Thanks Kirsten! I'll pop your info into a post. I hadn't realised that JB had an online store now. Yippeee! Now I can shop there all year round. This could be very bad for my bank balance.

25/9/05 12:15 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005