Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Tuesday, January 25

Hard to Watch

I've refrained from commenting on Carnivale for numerous reasons. Mainly because I don't wish to colour anyone else's viewing of it. I would much rather have a discussion about it than give a full dialogue of my thoughts.

The final ep of season one aired on Sunday night and I've never been left more wanting, nor more repulsed at the same time. Not repulsed because of the story mind you, but still reeling from the harrowing image not 5 minutes before the end.

If you haven't seen the end of it, all I'll say is that it makes Justine slitting Wesley's throat look like a paper cut. I still shudder thinking about it.

I can't wait for the next season to air here. So many more questions.

This has been one of the hardest programs to watch I've ever seen. It's dark, dirty, challenging, confronting, philosophical and enthralling.

Reality TV hasn't a chance against shows like this.

3 viewers interjected with:

Blogger MuzeKez said...

Hmm, I'm wondering if I had a 30second catnap near the end of the show because I can't for the life of me think of any especially harrowing image..! How bizarre! But anyway, I LOVED the whole series and am ever so glad it was renewed for a second season - can you imagine what a terrible ending that would have been if that was it for the show? Eeek, it scarcely bears thinking about!

25/1/05 10:12 am

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

Okay, you're talking about the graveyard scene aren't you? I was running over all the happenings near the end back at the Carnivale and thinking none were particularly repulsive, then my brain whispered "graveyard". Clearly it had attempted to bury that image, thanks for encouraging me to bring it back. :-p

25/1/05 10:26 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I didn't know that it was a full time series. HBO has a habit of producing short run shows like The 4400 (now a regular series) and Angels in America. About half way through I was getting worried that so much was being set up that there wasn't going to be enough time for resolution. Indeed there wasn't!

The graveyard scene is the one. I still shudder to think about it. I think I'll be closing my eyes for that scene from now on.

Anytime you need an image you've repressed refreshed I'll be sure to bring it up. :-)

25/1/05 11:41 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005