Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Friday, June 11

Geeks - Part 1

I have now been home for 5 days straight. Doesn’t happen very often, but it’s a symptom of what I do. So to fill the time I’ve been keeping busy doing the domestic thing, reading, blogging and a lot of couch time. As is my want, I watch batches of Buffy dvd’s. I start at the beginning of a season and whenever I get the chance I watch an ep. I discovered that I hadn’t listened to any of the commentaries for the second half of season 6.

So while being rather bored by an unenthusiastic commentary with Rebecca Rand Kirshner and David Solomon for ‘Hell’s Bells’, they mentioned the word Geek, and that it came from circus sideshows. This piqued my interest. As I have been referred to and have referred to myself as a Geek.

I felt compelled to find out more, and I didn’t want it to be a futile endeavour so I publish my findings here.

Dictionary.com defines Geek as:

1a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
1b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

So perhaps I’m not a Geek. Unless I combine the three and class myself as ’a person that is regarded as a clumsy fool who is a socially inept carnival performer.’

0 viewers interjected with:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005