Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Wednesday, December 15

Once Upon A Time

I always have a vain hope about some movies. I can't help it, I just fall for the media hype and hand over my cash. Sometimes I am rewarded with a surprisingly good film, other times I am horrified that anyone thought that film should be made and then there are times when I'm mildly entertained but, on the whole, left feeling unsatisfied.

One would think a film that opens with a narration by Erik Idle would have some credence in comedy. Mistaken would you be. Ella Enchanted is fluff, and lots of it.

Anne Hathaway would appear to have the potential to become a rounded actor who could take on varied and interesting parts. Instead, she signs on for films that all the actors appear to sleep their way through because it is brainlessly aimed at obsessive early-teenage girls.

Ella is cursed to be obedient, and when her Father remarries, her new step-sisters discover her curse. There are lots of nasty gags played upon Ella and the step-sisters are insipid and painfull. The reworking of the classic Cinderella tale didn't really work. There was modernising of lots of technology and pop-culture references, but the whole world was cheapened by it, rather than enhanced. I have to admit the wooden steps escalator was amusing.

The Prince Charming, or Prince Char, was a clone of Orlando Bloom (Hugh Dancy) and I was surprised at how long it took for him to get shirtless. The evil steward of the Kingdom, Edgar, is played perfectly by Cary Elwes. He looks to be having far too much fun playing the evil guy and pulls out his 'english accent' again as well.

Speaking of accents. Mini Driver's attempt at american is Gwenneth Paltrow worthy. I would much rather a total abandonment of accents than having the confusion of american/english soup.

It wasn't totally horrible, but I don't think I'll be adding it to my DVD collection anytime soon. It's brainless fun, and the singing isn't all that unfunny either.

2 viewers interjected with:

Blogger MuzeKez said...

Hmm, yes, I felt quite fooled by the previews which had convinced me this would be a thoroughly entertaining film. Ah well. A promising concept completely mishandled, and weren't those scenes with the giants painful to look at (in terms of -not so-special effects). Yuck!

Regarding Anne Hathaway and her film choices, take a peek at some of the comments concerning her role in Havoc. Seems she wearied of the teenyboppin' roles!

16/12/04 9:02 am

 
Blogger Casyn said...

The giant's tavern was rather painful. Nothing like cheap blue-screen scenes to display the quality of a film.

Right, so it sounds like Anne Hathaway has the devil for an agent. Smart career choices shouldn't involve sex or nudity.

17/12/04 11:20 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005