Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Tuesday, November 2

Round and Round

Yesterday was the final performance of a local community musical I lent my abundant abilities to (*cough*). I enjoy most musical theatre and this one had some great stuff in it, but no matter what the show nor how long I've been involved in it, by the end of the run I am going insane with having the same songs constantly on repeat in my head. There are some shows that are notoriously annoying like that, and this was one of them.

I try to twist the songs so the merge into something else. Today I managed to get one to cross over to 'Everybody Scream' from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and another to the Oompa Loompa song from Willy Wonker & The Chocolate Factory, both of which amuse me endlessly, but no sooner was I enjoying the new show-free music when it would creep back in.

Typically, I can rid myself of the tunes within a couple of weeks, but some linger. It was only recently that I started to hum a tune from the show I did at the start of the year, and boy was I not popular with those I was working with at the time!

I'll just have to immerse myself in other music for a while.

Oom pa pa...

9 viewers interjected with:

Blogger Onanymous said...

Apparently you call these things headworms. I often have an acute case of them too, but my greatest problem is that sometimes I would start humming a tune, and then realise that I can't remember what it is or where I heard it. This starts a vicious cycle of frantically trying to remember more, while at the same time trying to get it out of my head. Sometimes you just camn't win.

2/11/04 3:37 pm

 
Blogger Violet said...

My "headworm" is a song from the Buffy soundtrack which comes on in my head whenever I'm having trouble sleeping. I usually get sick of songs really fast too, so now I've stopped playing the CD.

2/11/04 3:48 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I've never heard the term 'headworms'. It is the perfect word for it. I googled it and came up with nothing, so if you want to think of a definition we'll add it to Blogtionary. :-)

I tend to get them in a loop, so I get a phrase in my head that ends in a similar way to its start. So rather than getting to the end of the song and resolution it just goes back to start again.

What song from which Buffy soundtrack is the bad one? I frequently use Radio Sunnydale to wake up to in the morning. :-)

2/11/04 4:07 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I just discovered this is my 200th post!

What a perfect example of the odd things I write about. :-)

2/11/04 4:20 pm

 
Blogger MuzeKez said...

I love the Oompa Loompa songs, I like to intentionally put them in my head for entertainment's sake. :-)

2/11/04 5:37 pm

 
Blogger Ben said...

wait till you have kids. then you'll discover the wiggles. again and again and again and again and again and again!

2/11/04 9:55 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

I like humming the Oompa Loompa song purely for the odd looks people give me. :-)

Wiggles. Yes, nearly the most scary of all headworms. The most debilitating would have to be Hi Five.

2/11/04 10:35 pm

 
Blogger Hugh said...

They are definitely called headworms. They have been around for eons, though the terminology has only been in force a couple of years.

My alarm ignites the same time every morning, tuning into a radio station with a very predicitible format, ensuring I wake up to a song before the usual breakfast chatter. Normally I wake up just before it goes off. Last week I awoke with a song in my head and then the radio comes on, a few seconds later, and it's the exact same song...how weird is that?

2/11/04 11:37 pm

 
Blogger Draic said...

I don't usually have a problem with headworms, for the simple reason that I tend to have random music playing non-stop on my computer. But my sis is taking advantage of her headworms.
She's writing down all the songs that get stuck in her head, and at the end of the year, she's going to try to hunt down all the songs and make a CD of them.

So far, most of them are 'Rubber Ducky'. Although the Oompa Loompa song has turned up a lot recently for her as well!

She also has perfected the tactic of giving other people headworms. You sing or hum part of a song over and over, and then you just stop in the middle of a phrase. Then you wait a while, and laugh at any friends who suddenly break into song.

Her worst headworm experience was part of an S-Club 7 song. It went 'Then we got Jo, she got the flow, then we got Jo, she got the flow' over and over and over.

I like to drive her nuts every now and then by reminding her of it.

3/11/04 3:56 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005