Tv blabs, movie blabs, book blabs. Lots of blab, but no flab.

Tuesday, October 26

Enough Already

Andrew Denton's Enough Rope is one of the best, if not THE best interview show on the box. Interviewing a vast array of interesting individuals from the biggest name to the humblest hero. Tonight he interviewed Aron Rolston, an American who, while hiking, got himself stuck down a crevice in Utah and has written a book about his ordeal.

His right hand became jammed between a boulder and the rock wall. A harrowing story of survival, he was in this position for 6 days with only one small water bottle. On the sixth day, he cut off his right hand to break free.

In this 30 minute interview he went into great detail about surviving for so long, including drinking his own urine, and spent five minutes describing how he cut all of the skin, muscle, and tendons, but that was after coming to the realisation that he'd need to break the bones first, otherwise it was a pointless task.

I don't think I have ever been so uncomfortable in my life. His description of cutting tendons had me roiling in my seat. I was intent on watching because I wanted to know how it all panned out, but I was really affected by it.

Who says simple storytelling is a lost art.

Would I be able to make that choice and follow through with the decision? I just hope that I'm never in a circumstance to find out.

2 viewers interjected with:

Blogger Pickwick said...

Denton himself described this interview as one of the most 'butt-clenching' he'd ever conducted, and suggested that if anyone had any jars around the house that no-one had ever been able to open, they should pop it onto the chair before they sat down to watch.

Truly amazing stuff.

26/10/04 11:10 pm

 
Blogger Casyn said...

He was on 'The Panel' on Wednesday too.

19/11/04 2:39 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered by Blogger

 

© Casyn 2004 - 2005